Want an Anime-Manga-Manhwa-Webtoon Recommendation?

Check out my new wordpress blog and see if something caught your interest! CLICK HERE

Friday, April 6, 2018

Review - Re: Birthday Song ~Koi Wo Utau Shinigami~


Note: I know I'm really late to the party but I  wanted to share my thoughts nevertheless. I'm gonna be talking about the plot here, so there's gonna be spoilers here and there. If you want to know my opinion but does not wish to be spoiled, then scroll all the way down to "final thoughts". Please read at your own discretion.

Upon stumbling on this game, I immediately researched whether this would be worth my time. Most (spoiler-free) reviews I've read says that while it has its fair share of shortcomings, this otome game would definitely make you cry. And as I read the synopsis, I thought they may be right.


Re:Birthday Song is all about a girl who ended up in the Netherworld, a place where souls with deep regrets go to. In that place, there is a school for Shinigami (Grim Reapers) in which she had no choice but to attend.

Based on my experiences with various anime, kdramas, movies and otome games, death + regrets + grim reapers always equate to tragedy. I don't think I've ever seen one movie/anime which uses these elements yet continue to be comedic until the end. If there is one, please do tell me because I'd like to watch it.

The plot itself already spells out "feels" and "Rollercoaster Rides". That's why folks, if you want to play this game, prepare for a broken heart and please, please, do buy tissues.



THE CHARACTERS

Kairi
I consulted a friend of mine regarding the best playing order and she told me I should really start with Kairi, so I did. Kairi is this outgoing, massive prankster guy who's fairly easy to get along with. Out of all guys, he's the only one who could laugh around freely without care (most guys are a freakin' tsun. I love them ^_^)

Honestly, I wasn't that fond of Kairi during the common route. I had my eye on Ame, the green-haired shota. Now, you see, I am not a shotacon. I tend to avoid them or play them last if possible, but the voice actor of Ame (Matsuoka Yoshitsugu) won me over. So, while I was reading, I was like Aaaahh, I wanna play Ame already. But I already started making choices in favor of Kairi so I guess it's too late.

But boi, never would I have thought that he'd be so cute in his own route. Never would I have thought that I'd have a change of heart (Sorry Ame ^_^). And never would I have thought that this route would be the most-heartbreaking of them all. No wonder my friend basically forced me to start with Kairi, she's definitely making sure I'll be receiving fresh and raw wounds emotionally.

Kairi, despite the joyful appearance he always makes, has a heavier burden compared to some guys in the story. The saying "people who always laugh are lonely inside" is definitely true for Kairi. He was abused by his father when he was young, and that very parent of his drove him to his death. Imagine his horror when, for their graduation exam, he has to face his dying father once more. Moreover, he has to make sure his father dies without regrets.

I was pretty much bawling and crying my eyes out during the whole Graduation Exam episode. I've already guessed halfway during the exam that Kairi most likely committed suicide. Still, it didn't help my already broken heart when the plot twist came T_T.

In the end, Kairi's route was a long feels ride I did not regret getting on to. I was glad I played his route first. By the time I was playing other routes, I feel like I was cheating on him by dating other guys lol.

Ame
As expected, the next route I played was Ame. Now, I read in another review that Ame's route was a "snoozefest". I'm not gonna tell you that's wrong. Compared to the rollercoaster ride which is Kairi, Ame's route was tamer and with less drama. You see, Ame is this sickly boy who died in the Taisho Era and their graduation exam involved a young boy named Yuzu who is sickly like him. So you get the gist of the problem.

There's a few tearjerking moments in this route, one of them involves Yuzu nearly dying earlier than expected, then realizing that he is scared to leave this world after all. Mygaawd, this boi shattered my already broken heart.

Anyway, one of the most memorable moment in Ame's route was when he was chosen to act as Cinderella for the Cultural Festival Play. And Ame, being so passive as he is, did not even retaliate. He was freakin' fine with being cast as a princess. And OMG, you know what? He looks sooooo beautiful. JUST LOOK AT THIS FRICKIN' CG.


I was really really glad they made a CG for this. I was afraid that it'd turn out like Lance from Nameless where we didn't get a CG of him acting as princess. (Come on Cheritz! It's not yet too late! Give us that picture!)

Still, it was in Ame's route that Name-sensei started getting a lil' bit more suspicious. You see, Ame can read people's minds. He stated that back when the heroine was yet to transfer to the supplementary class, he was still able to read bits and pieces of the teacher's thoughts. But after the heroine arrived, Ame became unable to read Nami-sensei's mind. It's like the teacher is trying hard not to let Ame know what he is thinking.

In addition, it was in Ame's route where Nami-sensei decided to visit the heroine who fainted during a practical lecture. Now what's wrong with a teacher visiting his sick student? Nothing... except when he decides to visit at TWO-FREAKIN-AM. Now that's just all sorts of wrong. Good thing Ame was there to save the heroine from the seemingly suspicious teacher.

Soooo, Ame... I actually liked him, but not more than Kairi. I was so sad he doesn't have a kiss CG. (Why honeybee?!) Although his route isn't as good as Kairi's, it was a fairly entertaining read for me. I don't think I'll be able to handle another massive heartbreak anyway... or maybe I could.

Yoru
The next one I played was Yoru. Yoru is a tsundere boi who got held back a year because he did not get along well with his previous partner and that partner disappeared on him before their graduation exam. I honestly didn't like Yoru at first. He looks like Ceasar from Ozmafia too much, I don't like that guy (lol sorry Ceasar fans). But that can't be helped since these games have the same artists.

Anyway, I wouldn't call his route a feels ride. It doesn't have as much heartbreaking moments even compared with Ame's. Still, his route was a massive fluff fest and my heart was going doki-doki all throughout the story ^_^ There was this one scene where he was forced to do "waiter work" for the cafe during the school's cultural festival. And damn, he looks so hot.

Yoru's graduation exam involved making sure a girl named Mei dies without any regrets. That wasn't as easy as it sounds, though. Mei was actually a girl who confessed to him back when he was alive. But before he can give her an answer, she ran away, afraid of hearing Yoru's reply. That same day, Yoru died. Mei's lingering regret turned out to be not being able to hear Yoru's answer to her confession (now, whose fault is that gurl? -_-)

After a bit of drama here and there, Yoru finally managed to face her and tell her the answer he was supposed to give that day. Which is NO because he is actually inlove with his childhood friend who is actually (hah! Guess who!) the main character.

His death was kinda sad though. Our main character, being a klutz as she is, was about to get run over by a truck. Yoru tried to save her but they both died in the end. Yoru's regret turned out to be his inability to tell the heroine that he loves her. He was supposed to confess that day, but well, things happen.

So, I had fun with Yoru's route. Not as heartbreaking as I want it to be but definitely enjoyable.

Syun
Next is Syun, the yankee-like guy, as the heroine puts it. He's a tsundere as well. Just like Yoru's, his route is a massive fluff fest. It was also really cute how all the other guys kept teasing the both of them, especially Kairi.

Syun's graduation exam involves his mother whom he hated back when he was alive. To his surprise, he found out that right after his death, his mom turned blind, possibly due to trauma of seeing her son all bloody and dead. Well, the cute thing was that right before she ascends up to heaven, the mother's vision returned, thus enabling her to see her son's face for the last time.

Syun's route was entertaining, but I must admit I wasn't as entertained as I wanted to be. I realized I was crying less and less lol. In Kairi's route, I was bawling. In Ame's route, there were a few times I did. In Yoru's, well, there was that one time. In Syun's, I kinda teared up but never really cried. I just hope Nami-sensei's route would be good.

Finally, we have the teacher Nami-sensei. But since his character also coincides with one of the main focus of my blog, I decided to make a different post for him. Please click here.



PLAYING EXPERIENCE

They say the first route you play would always be considered good since the story would feel fresh and I admit that's true. The parts before the graduation exam (Vocal Music Fest, Summer Break, Cultural Fest, Shinigami Fest) might feel dragging after a long while. But you know what? I actually think it's a necessary evil because those very normal scenes is what actually makes us warm up to a character. Imagine playing a supposedly very tragic scene but the character was someone you aren't really fond of. So, if you play this game and thinks the recurring theme is getting a bit boring, then I'll tell you to endure it. I promise things would at least be interesting during the graduation exam.



MUSIC

Right at the very first scene of game, I already had the feeling that most of the music, if not all, would be wonderful. I was right. The background music was never distracting. In fact, it only adds to the experience. I don't think every heartbreaking scenes would be as heartbreaking without the chosen BGM as well.

Well, with that said, I guess my only problem lies with the ending song. While I wasn't that surprised about the sudden rock music (which is due to the shitranting of most bloggers about it), I must admit it was disorienting. Here I was, feeling lonely and vulnerable, then suddenly... ha ha ha I'm crying. Anyway, other than that, thumbs up to the music!



CGS

While the CGs are wonderfully made, I was a lil bit disappointed. I feel like there should be a few CGs here and there, and not that annoying white screen. An example of which was during the music festival. I was totally expecting we'd get a CG of all of them singing on the stage, but there's none. And I'm still angry Ame and Syun doesn't have a kiss CG.



FINAL THOUGHTS

It has its shortcomings, yes. It could've been better, yes. Re:Birthday Song ~Koi Wo Utau Shinigami~ has its fair share of disappointments like all other otome games. But in my opinion, it was beautiful. Or at least I don't think it'd be on any "Top 10 most horrible otome games I've played" list any time soon. The way this game handled the topic of life and death was in fact heartwarming and comforting.

Kairi's route was definitely the best and most heartbreaking one out of everybody (you should play him first, too). Some parts of the story can be a bit cliche but it was fun regardless. If I were to list my "Top 10 otome games I NEVER regret playing", this game would definitely make the list. (Now that I think about it, I should write this kind of post).

Anyway, if you're a long time otome fan but you still haven't played this yet, or if you had just discovered otome games and you're looking for a game to play, then I'd definitely recommend this one to you!

Well, this post is getting long. Ciao!

Signing out, Qiara.

No comments:

Post a Comment