Want an Anime-Manga-Manhwa-Webtoon Recommendation?

Check out my new wordpress blog and see if something caught your interest! CLICK HERE

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Review - Mystic Messenger's April Fools DLC is Love


What started out as normal turned hilariously creepy real fast.
[Warning: Heavy Spoilers]


It has already been a number of days since Cheritz released the new update which is April Fools Special. As you might expect, this downloadable content is full of jokes and pranks and tons of 4th-wall-breaking.

The moment you opened the game, you would see the new welcome image which was supposed to be a parody of the birth of Venus. Don't believe me? Look at this:


This painting from 1486 is called "The Birth Of Venus" painted by Sandro Boticelli... And then there's Mystic Messenger's cover:

mystic messenger april fools dlc
Who is Jaehee supposed to be?

You believe me now? Lol. Anyway, as you can see, Zen is the one at the center. And you could probably guess through that picture that this dlc will focus on Zen. So all you Zen fans out there, you better download this dlc! And no, it doesn't matter if it costs 60 hourglasses 'cause it's totally worth it! (I actually love this dlc more than the Christmas one.)

As I've said above, the first chat on the dlc was pretty normal, or as normal as 707 and Zen can be. We would be immediately informed of the fact that it's Zen's birthday. Of course, knowing how narcissistic Zen is, we'd definitely hear him talk about how the world should be so grateful that he was born. Also, we'd definitely hear him complain about how people always think that he's lying when he tells them it's his birthday! It's April Fools after all, where lying is okay!

Still, it was because of 707 that I was laughing my ass off right on the first chat! >_< You see, Seven was planning to give Zen a gift. You know what the gift is?

Cardboards. One ton of them.

Of course, it's most likely a joke. But with Seven, you never know. Lol. Honestly, everytime Zen says that his doorbells are ringing, I was kinda expecting it to be a truckload of cardboard deliveries. Lol. Imagine Zen's horror.

So, okay. That was normal, right?

Wait until you reach the Visual Novel "Zen at Yoosung's Place" which occurs after the 10:26 chat and you'll realize the level of weirdness going on.

How weird is it, you ask? Then, let me tell it straight to you: Yoosung has turned into a veggie omelette. Jaehee became an electric kettle with 1.8L capacity. 707 was a cardboard figure with taped hands. Jumin is now a cat addicted to catnip. Elizabeth the 3rd is the human with laser pointers. And almost all CG are real-life photos!

I'm not kidding. Here they are:

mystic messenger april fools dlc

And let's not forget about Zen, who will soon transform into a plaster bust, effectively creating the funniest CG of the Mystic Messenger History:

mystic messenger april fools dlc

Lol, Zen.

There are three endings all in all - the Good Ending and two (2) Normal Endings. My favorite one was actually the "blue" Normal Ending. You see, in this ending, the 4th wall was totally broken. Zen has realized that the both of you are in different dimensions, that you are living the reality and he's just on a screen, and that you two will never be able to meet.

To tell the truth, this ending kinda hit me hard. I've always had major crushes on fictional characters (like you otaku people!), always bawling over them, and always dreaming about them. And then, sooner or later, I realized that no matter how much I imagine them, they just aren't real. They will never become mine. We will never be together. And I must admit, that just hurts. And so I could definitely relate to Zen this time. The pain of realizing that you will never be able to be with the one you have dreamed of so much is just so... </3

And I really must tell you, Cheritz did a great job on this scene's script. Zen's speech was more or less heartbreaking. I even saw a review from someone (I forgot who) telling everyone to prepare the tissues. Anyway, this scene just made me love Zen more. It's like, if he loves himself too much, he loves you more than that.

Anyway, I made a screenshot in this scene. I'm not sure of this was supposed to be funny or heartache-inducer. Probably both.

mystic messenger april fools dlc zen

I think we should call this "The Sad Ending". It's not Bad, just sad :( Well, this was the ending that I appreciate the most. The Good Ending and the other Normal Ending were kinda so-so. In the Good Ending, they had a party for Zen. On the other ending, Zen thought that everything that had happened in the chat might just be a dream.

So, to end this post, I'd like to point out once more that this dlc is by far the best dlc of Mystic Messenger in my opinion. It's sort of creepy but hilarious at the same time. I've lost count of how many times I had laughed inwardly at their lame jokes! Play it now!

Signing off, Qiara.

P.S. I made a rant about this dlc before. If you would be so kind to read it here.
You could also check out my other Mystic-messenger related posts:

Signing off again, Qiara.

1 comment:

  1. Is it only available on the april 1st? Can't I just play it today?(I really want to play it but i don't wanna wait till april.)

    ReplyDelete