Want an Anime-Manga-Manhwa-Webtoon Recommendation?

Check out my new wordpress blog and see if something caught your interest! CLICK HERE

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Yandere Review - Cherry Boy, That Girl's Mandarin Kim

Male yandere. Cherry Boy That Girl Mandarin Kim. Cherry Boy That Girl Darin Kim. Darin Kim crying.

Name: Mandarin Kim
Yandere Type: Possessive, Obsessive, Manipulative
Role: False Protagonist


I slept crying and woke up with puffy eyes. All because of a certain Mandarin Kim.


I am definitely not a fan of the gender bender trope. But hey, there's an exception to everything. Anyway, I saw a lot of recommendations stating that a character of the webtoon "Cherry Boy, That Girl" is a yandere. I haven't found a yandere list that includes him so I decided to check it out whether he really is yandere.

And boy, they were sooo right.

Cherry Boy, That Girl is a webtoon about the love story of Berry and Mandarin. Due to certain circumstances (specifically Darin's inconsiderate atittude and Berry's self-centered ego), Berry decided to date another guy (Pierre "Pear" Kang) instead. And Darin, being so inlove that he is... decided to cross-dress and make that Pierre Kang fall for him instead.

Man, that was such a good read! It has been a really long time since I actually cried because of what I read. Ever since chapter 19, it felt to me like something is constantly gripping my heart. Tei and Yeonho, my perfect yandere models, did not even made me feel this way.

Anyway, Darin is definitely your dream yandere guy. Clingy? Check. Manipulative? Check again. Posessive? Check. Obsessive? Super check. So obviously, I found my new bae! And I do feel like I won't be able to move on from these webtoon for a while.

Okay then, I am now prostrating myself and begging you to please, please read the webtoon Cherry Boy, That Girl. I assure you it's worth your time. Heck, it's been a long time since I pulled an all-nighters just to read something. I checked and it seemed like I have been reading for almost 16 hours straight yesterday. Anyway, I'm looking forward for you to read it!

P.S. I am really pissed off at Walnut Kang and Sage Dan. Ughhhh...

Another P.S. Is it just me or does Walnut Kang looks like Kim Bum?
Walnut kang and Kim Bum. Kim Bum chibi drawing. Kim bum drawing. Walnut wally kang looks like kim bum. Walnut kang.

How about Mandarin Kim and Kim Hyun Joong. Lol. They're even both Kim.

Male yandere. Mandarin Kim. Cherry boy that girl Mandarin kim darin kim. Kim hyun joong looks like Mandarin Kim

Nah. Hahaha.

So, I'm gonna talk more about Darin now and it contains heavy spoiler so don't read this until you read the story, okay? I don't really want to ruin things for you.



I finally understood what it means to really get hurt when my ship doesn't sail (screw you Walnut Kang!)

Okay, okay. So Walnut isn't actually so bad. I'm just sulking. Sorry Wally fans out there, but I'm sure you do understand me if want to keep rooting for Darin, right? Nevertheless, I think most of us thought Darin is the canon pairing, with all that's happened in the first few chapters. Unfortunately, he actually turned out to be the "false protagonist", or someone who appears to be the lead protagonist at first yet turn out to be the villain. You can't deny it though that while Walnut is the canon pairing, Darin is still the main character. It's like having the bad guy star the show.

After breaking up with Berry, Darin keeps sabotaging things for her. Really so yandere-like. He's way too obsessive and does any means necessary to get Berry back, like threatening her that he'd die or dating other girls to get her attention. In the past, he even sabotages Berry's attempt at making friends so he could have her all to himself.

I actually came to a point where I was wondering if Darin was a yandere. Because yanderes were supposed to be loyal, and yet he actually had another girlfriend named Cherry. (That two-timer!) I hated Cherry at first because of that, but well, she's a cool kid. And Darin didn't really date her because he loves her. He's just a dependent freak, clinging to those who show him sympathy.

So some of you might say, he's just dating Berry too for his own self-satisfaction! That might be true. But it was love, you can't deny it. No matter how self-centered he seemed like, no matter how cunning his ways are, no matter how sick he is in the head... it's obvious that he did love her. Every time he thinks of the past and recalls something he should have done for Berry, you could just feel it.

What made me butthurt the most was the fact that Berry didn't even cry. She always just had that face like the one above even when Darin was crying in front of her... but at least Darin was able to move on... and at least Darin was able to change. It's what we want for our yanderes after all, right? We do want them to get better. It just kinda hurts when it seemed like no matter what they do, their love will still be unrequited.

So enough of that, my ship has sunk. Just find another one Darin, and this time, make sure to treasure her well.

10 comments:

  1. Hah! They really do look alike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always pity darin...He was true to his feelings....only that he didn't know what type of feelings he was having towards berry...But stillhe moved on and became independent auld self reliant. THAT is what is important. ..HE would ALWAYS be my favorite character..I like him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeahh! He'd always be my fave character, too! I was so glad that despite all those heartbreaks, he did seem to have moved on at the end! Although, in my part, I think the heartache for him would never heal lol.

      Delete
  3. I'm grateful that Pear Kang was a support for Darin too! Such a shame that Pear ended up in an arranged marriage :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I completely shipped them.

      Delete
  4. I actually liked Walnaut and preferred him with Berry, despite of my love for yanderes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah well, in reality they would be the better match. And at least, Darin changed for the better because of that.

      Delete
  5. Im actually annoyed with Darin instead of Walnut. Both of them Berry and Darin are just not a fitting pairing from the beginning i think... I know why Berry left Darin, he's so self-centered and didn't care about Berry feeling, so Berry felt uncomfortable and left him. But I didn't deny that Berry was a shitty person too. I got really butthurt when Pear and Darin sabotaged Walnut (Walnut is the precious boyo) and Berry, it's just so unfair and hurt my chest so much, poor my kokoro. (But that's exactly what manipulative and abusive yandere is for, hahaha) and in the end i didn't think Darin love Berry at all, it just seems like he's obsessed and needs someone to cling, for me. But regardless, Darin was such an amazing character that can play so much emotion in my heart lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Im actually annoyed with Darin"

      Me: *Butthurt* lol.

      Anyway, I respect your opinion. I actually realized there are more Walnut fans out there. I like him too, though not as much as Darin ^_^

      Delete
  6. From the first chapter... This is the first comic that I never wish the heroine to be happy. She is a jerk, such a temper... Can't she just do one thing right? No... Just when Darin apologize after seducing Pear to straighten a misunderstanding, did she just once using her perfectly functioning ears to listen? No. I just hate her...
    But well, it's a GREAT COMIC, how they make me so emotional with their characters bringing, and thus the plot. I truly recommend it to read.

    ReplyDelete