Want an Anime-Manga-Manhwa-Webtoon Recommendation?

Check out my new wordpress blog and see if something caught your interest! CLICK HERE

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Recommendations - Manga Series That Made Me Cry Rivers (Part 1)


So we all have those manga series that gripped our hearts out and made us cry loads of tears. I must admit that I actually love the feeling. I'm such a masochist lol.

Anyway, if you want to get hit right in the feels, here are the manga series that I would recommend!



FRUITS BASKET

The enigmatic Sohma family shares a great secret, its members are possessed by spirits of the Chinese Zodiac, and when they are hugged by members of the opposite sex, they transform into their Zodiac animal! Tohru Honda, an orphaned high school freshman, is given lodging in the Sohma household in exchange for taking care of household chores. The humble Tohru is quite grateful for the Sohma family's generosity, and the longer she stays with them, the more they realize what a blessing she is in their lives, as well.

In my honest opinion, the anime is much more emotional than the manga. I've watched it countless times and I've always cried at the ending. I even have to watch it at night when everyone's asleep just so I could be as emotional as I want to lol.

But story-wise, the manga is obviously much deeper. And while I said the anime was more emotional, the manga still didn't fail to make me cry. There's just something about it that wrenches my heart out... you know, the loneliness, the feeling of wanting to break free from curses and bondages, the feeling of being accepted.

In Fruits Basket, what started off as a comedy-fantasy ends with a heartwarming story of friendships and families. It's an old manga, so if you haven't read it yet, you just missed half your anime life. And of course, I just wanna say that Fruits Basket will always have a place in my heart <3





GAKUEN ALICE

In a small country school, Sakura Mikan and Imai Hotaru are classmates and bestfriends - in their own way. Ditzy, emotional Mikan seems ill-matched with aloof, emotionless Hotaru, yet they are together all the time... until Hotaru gets called away to study at the strange and forbidding Alice Academy. In her anguish at being left behind, Mikan finally decides to follow her friend - and doing so, she makes a strange discovery.

Some people are skeptic about this manga because the characters are kids... like elementary school kids. And if you've only watched the anime, you might have thought that it's just a comedic adventures of an elementary kid on a school filled with magic-users.

But really, it's just like Fruits Basket up above. Don't let that goofy Mikan fool you. I actually cried a lot because of this manga. And it's not just me. My girl friends who read this had the same reactions too! Mikan and the gang might be too young, but their stories will make you realize that problems isn't only for adults. Broken friendships, betrayals, and family problems doesn't choose ages. And kids have powers to overcome, too!




HAJIMARI NO NIINA


11-year old Niina is special. This is because she has the memories of her past life as a girl named Chitose still intact. Among these memories is a promise with Chitose's boyfriend which Niina then decides to try and fulfill. But can she really?

While the story isn't really that compelling compared to the other two above, this one did make me cry. Some of us don't really understand the importance of our families. We took our parents and our siblings for granted.

The last half is full-pledged romance story but I guarantee you that tears would spill on the first half of this short series!





RECORD OF THE FALLEN VAMPIRE



There is a legend that tells of how the world was almost destroyed thousands of years ago by the vampire queen after she unleashed her latent powers. Despite their efforts, the humans were unable to defeat her, and thus resorted to sealing her away until the time came that they would be powerful enough to destroy the seal and kill her. However, the humans are not the only ones after the seal. Having cast aside his kingdom and betraying his own race and the dhampirs (half-vampires), the vampire king is persistently searching, even to this day, for where his queen has been sealed away so he may break the seal and free her before the humans do. Fearing that once the king and queen are reunited, they shall continue to destroy the world together, the humans and dhampirs hunt the king, using any method possible. 

I've read this series 5 times, and cried about 20 times. And now, upon seeing the cover, I get the urge to cry for the 21st time.

Record of the fallen vampire still sits at the top of the manga series that made me cry up till now. And while the story may get weird (with aliens and all), the story is so well-told and the way they use flashbacks is superb.

What I like about the series was how unpredictable it is. With every turn of the page, what you considered as truth could actually be a lie.. And what you considered evil at first may actually be kindness. And really, it's not confusing at all!

I tell you guys, this manga is one-of-a-kind. Sure, there are lots of vampire stories out there which are more popular, longer, or with more eye-candies (I'm talking about Vampire Knight haha), but seriously, I've never encountered this kind of plot before. A serious must-read! If you haven't read this yet, I hope you do and let's talk about it!



So, that concludes Part 1. Part 2 will be out soon, hopefully.

Anyway, there's this webtoon that made me cry lots too. But well, it's a webtoon so I can't actually include it in the list since it says "manga". Lol. I just thought it's worth mentioning. It's titled "Cherry Boy, That Girl". You could read my review here.

No comments:

Post a Comment